The Anaphylaxis Campaign is saddened to learn of the death of Ian Flack, a 76-year-old who was stung by wasps, while gardening in Llanbedr DC on the 24th October 2018.
An inquest held into his death by Assistant Coroner for North Wales East and Central heard that after he was stung, he sat in his van and told the owner he had been stung and felt unwell. Passers-by and a passing vet who was flagged down tried to resuscitate him but he was certified dead at the scene. The Coroner recorded a conclusion of accidental death.
Chief Executive of the Anaphylaxis Campaign, Lynne Regent, said:
“We are very saddened to learn about the death of Mr Flack as a result of this tragic accident and our thoughts are with his family and friends as they process the findings from the inquest into his death”
You may not have an allergic reaction the first time you are stung by a wasp or bee but there is a small risk that subsequent stings could lead to a severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis. In the UK, venom anaphylaxis is the second most frequent cause of anaphylaxis outside medical settings and more people are allergic to wasps than bees.
If you are at risk of insect venom anaphylaxis and would like more information and support, please call our national helpline on 01252 542029 or contact [email protected].
The Anaphylaxis Campaign partners with the Bee Resistant campaign to raise awareness about insect venom anaphylaxis. The campaign provides information on the symptoms to look out for and the range of avoidance and treatment options available to help reduce the risk:
‘Bee aware’ of the symptoms:
- Feeling unwell and dizzy
- Rapidly spreading rash
- Wheezing and a tight chest
- Swelling of the airways and throat
- Weakness (caused by a drop-in blood pressure)
- Physical collapse
‘Bee resistant’ by taking steps to reduce the risk:
- Prevention – follow avoidance advice and tips.
- Treatment – there are a range of treatment options available on the NHS to treat anaphylaxis which include carrying adrenaline auto-injectors and specialist treatments available from hospital-based allergy clinics.
‘Bee in the know’ – find out more:
- In the event of a serious allergic reaction, call 999 immediately and state “anaphylaxis”.
- Consult your GP for further information and guidance.