Senior Coroner for Avon, Maria Voisin has ended the inquest into the death of 42-year-old Celia Marsh who tragically died as a result of anaphylaxis on 27th December 2017.
Celia had a serious milk allergy and had eaten a Pret a Manger ‘super veg rainbow flatbread’ containing dairy-free coconut yogurt. The coroner found that one of the ingredients of the yogurt, a starch called HG1, was contaminated with milk protein during manufacture.
Despite the manufacturer of the dairy-free yogurt having information about the risk of milk cross-contamination, this was not passed down the supply chain to Pret a Manger. This meant that customers were not informed of this risk and resulted in Celia eating the flatbread with no way of knowing that it was unsafe for her.
Simon Williams, CEO of Anaphylaxis UK said:
“Celia’s tragic death highlights the need for tighter regulation and testing of products that make allergen-free claims and the complexities involved in communicating allergen cross-contamination risks across the whole supply chain involved in food manufacture. Our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Celia’s family at this time.”
If you are concerned about allergies and would like more information and support, please call our national helpline on 01252 542029 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enter your details below and we’ll email you our printable guide featuring the symptoms to look out for and what to do in an emergency.
You’ll also receive our monthly Allergy Outlook email with our latest news, updates and resources straight to your inbox.