If you are organising your own event for us, there are a few things to carefully consider and include in your planning to ensure that your event runs smoothly, safely, and legally.

Here is some information you will need to keep in mind:

  • Alcohol

    If you are planning to sell alcohol at your event, it’s best to check if the venue is licenced in the first instance. Then, if appropriate, you may need to obtain a Temporary Event Notice. For more information: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/alcohol-licensing

  • Cash handling

    It’s always a good idea to have plans in place when it comes to handling cash. Here are some things to think about at your event:

    • Collect cash using a secure container
    • Where possible, make sure at least two people are available when money is being handled and counted
    • Keep cash locked and stored somewhere safe
    • Be cautious when carrying money around
    • Bank the cash as soon as possible after the event
  • Collections

    Private collections take place on private property and require the owner’s or manager’s written permission. It’s a good idea to have a copy of this with you while collecting on their premises.

    Public collections take place in a public space and require a licence from your local authority. For more information: https://www.gov.uk/street-collection-licence

    Please note that anyone under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult when collecting from the public. We kindly ask our fundraisers to not carry out house to house or business to business collections on our behalf.

  • Data protection

    Please responsibly collect and store information about people involved in your fundraising event and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). As a guide, only collect the information you need, keep it safe, do not share with anyone else without their permission, and only keep it for as long as you need.

  • Entertainment

    Planning to have live or recorded music, dancing, an indoor sporting event, or any other entertainment at your event? If so, you may need a licence. Check with your venue first, as they may already hold a public entertainment licence, or visit the government’s website to see if you will need one: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/entertainment-licensing-changes-under-the-live-music-act

    Please see the ‘Alcohol’ section regarding a Temporary Events Notice that may be required.

  • First aid

    We want every one of your supporters to be safe at your fundraising event, so this is a really important one to plan and organise…

    Please make sure you have appropriate first aid support in place at your event. If your event involves many people, it may be worth considering having a certified first aider in attendance and plenty of first aid materials on site. St John Ambulance or British Red Cross can also advise and provide first aid support, if needed.

    It’s always better to be safe than sorry.

  • Food and drink

    As you know, this is vitally important…

    Please take great care when using ingredients, handling and serving food. The Food Standards Agency provides guidelines and regulations to follow to keep everyone safe. If you are using a caterer, make sure they have a Food Hygiene Certificate and Public Liability Insurance.

    Please make sure you (or your caterer) labels any allergen ingredients to give confidence to your guests.

    For events where alcohol will be served, please see the ‘Alcohol’ section regarding a Temporary Events Notice that may be required.

  • Health and safety

    This is another area that needs to have priority and careful planning to ensure your guests will be safe and secure during the event. By organising your own fundraising event in aid of Anaphylaxis UK, you are responsible for making sure that the event poses no risk to others.

    We strongly advise that you complete a risk assessment of your venue, even if it’s a familiar space like your workplace, school or local pub. The Health and Safety Executive website is helpful and has a free, downloadable risk assessment template, if needed.

    Remember to ask the right people at the venue about emergency evacuation procedures, and that people with disabilities have required access.

    If you are using third party suppliers and contractors, please do your research and check that they are reputable organisations. It’s a good idea to ask to see a copy of their Public Liability Insurance and risk assessment in advance.

    Anaphylaxis UK cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury suffered by yourself or anyone else as a result of taking part in a fundraising event organised in aid of Anaphylaxis UK.

  • Insurance

    You may need to arrange Public Liability Insurance to cover some events, which will protect you against third party claims. Insurance is often included in the hire fee of your venue, but please don’t assume; always ask the person in charge at the venue to see what is covered. If you’re holding an event at home or on private property, check your insurance covers this too.

    Please note that any event organised in aid of Anaphylaxis UK will not be covered by Anaphylaxis UK insurance.

  • Licences

    You may need a licence if you are planning to:

    • Run a raffle, lottery or auction
    • Provide/sell alcohol
    • Public collection
    • Have entertainment at your event

    Get in touch with your local authority to check which licences are appropriate.

    If you are holding an event in a public place, you must get written permission from the property owner or local authority in advance. It’s a good idea to have a copy of this with you while on their premises.

  • Marketing

    Please ensure that all materials promoting your event includes the below:

    • Registered Charity Number (1085527)
    • Our logo (please request this from our Communications team: press@anaphylaxis.org.uk)
    • ‘in aid of’ Anaphylaxis UK


    If you have any questions, please contact our Communications team: press@anaphylaxis.org.uk

  • Raffles, lotteries and prize draws

    If you are thinking of having a raffle or prize draw, please visit the Gambling Commission website to check whether you require a licence. There are strict legal requirements about raffles, lotteries and prize draws and the Gambling Commission website is a good place to start to research the rules and regulations.

  • Safeguarding children

    If you’re aged under 18, you must have your parent or guardian’s permission to fundraise. Anyone under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult when collecting money from the public.

    If there are children at your event, please make sure that they have permission from a parent or guardian to take part and that they are cared. Written parental permission should also be obtained for any images or video footage taken of children during your event.

  • Further information

    Health and Safety Executive (https://www.hse.gov.uk/event-safety/)

    Fundraising Regulator’s ‘Code of Fundraising Practice’ (https://www.fundraisingregulator.org.uk/code)

    Gambling Commission (https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/)

    Food Standards Agency (https://www.food.gov.uk/)

    Institute of Fundraising (https://ciof.org.uk/)

Remember, that while we hugely appreciate your support, we cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury as a result of any fundraising activity you undertake.

Sign up to our free monthly newsletter for tips and information about managing your allergies

Sign up