We are saddened to learn of the tragic death of Ava-Grace Stevens, aged 9, who sadly died on 28th October 2019. We would like to offer our deepest sympathies to her family at this difficult time.
Following the inquest, held at Northampton Coroners Court on Wednesday 14th April 2021, the coroner concluded that Ava’s death was accidental and said Ava had an ‘acute exacerbation of asthma in the context of probable food allergen. The inquest heard how after a day out at Disney World the family returned to their villa for dinner that evening. A short while later Ava’s mother, Stephanie, then saw her daughter was having a reaction. Police and paramedics then arrived and Ava was rushed to hospital.
Ava’s allergies included severe cow’s milk allergy , cat and dog hair allergies, as well as asthma. She was regularly seen by a doctor for breathing difficulties.
Lynne Regent, Chief Executive of the Anaphylaxis Campaign, said:
‘What should have been a happy family holiday turned into a tragedy and our heartfelt condolences go out to Ava-Grace’s family. Travelling abroad brings additional challenges for those affected by severe allergies and their families and it is important that these are recognised and acknowledged”
For information and help about managing allergies whilst travelling please see our guide at:
If you have any other concerns regarding food or non-food allergies, please call our national helpline on 01252 542029 or contact email@example.com.