We were very saddened to learn of the death of 15-year-old Natasha Ednan-Laperouse a few years ago. The inquest started on Monday 24th September at West London coroner’s court.
Natasha was known to have an allergy to sesame. She died after eating a baguette from Pret a Manger at Heathrow airport prior to boarding a British Airways flight. The inquest heard that the baguette purchased contained sesame, which made her feel unwell and collapse during the flight to Nice on 17th July 2016. Although her father administered her adrenaline auto injectors that Natasha carried she sadly suffered cardiac arrest and died later the same day.
By law, food businesses selling catered food (for example in restaurants, takeaways and hotels) are required to provide information on major allergenic ingredients, either in writing and/or orally. If information is provided orally, the food business will need to ensure that there is some sort of written signage that is clearly visible, to indicate that allergen information is available from a member of staff. Systems should also be in place to ensure that, if requested, the information given orally is supported in a recorded form to ensure consistency and accuracy.
Under the UK’s Food Regulation 2014 food business that sell freshly handmade, non-pre-packaged food do not have to individual label the products and can provide allergy information in writing or verbally.
You can find out more in our guide to eating out for young people here.
If you have any concerns or questions, please contact our helpline team at [email protected] or call 01252 542 029.
For further information, please contact our press office via [email protected] or call 01252 893 862.