Anaphylaxis UK is deeply saddened to learn of the death of Robin Wynne Williams, a 45-year-old construction engineer who tragically died from anaphylaxis due to a severe food allergy. Senior coroner Kate Robertson has ended the inquest into Robin’s death which happened in Bangor, Wales, on 3rd March 2023.
Robin, who was celebrating with colleagues having completed a job at Anglesey’s Menai suspension bridge, experienced a serious allergic reaction after eating at The Bridge Inn Pub in Menai Bridge. Despite his best efforts to manage the symptoms, Robin tragically lost his life. Robin knew he had a food allergy, but was unsure what foods triggered his allergic reactions.
It was not possible during the inquest to identify the specific food that caused Robin’s anaphylaxis. This highlights the complexity of managing serious allergies as well as the importance of seeing an allergy specialist to get a clear diagnosis and allergy management plan.
Anaphylaxis UK Chief Executive, Simon Williams said:
“Our thoughts are with Robin’s family and friends as they navigate this challenging time. What happened to Robin highlights the unpredictable nature of anaphylaxis and the importance of raising awareness of serious allergies and what to do in an emergency. Anaphylaxis is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition that demands constant attention and awareness. We encourage anyone with allergies to reach out to our helpline for information and support.”
Anaphylaxis UK would like to re-enforce the following advice:
• Always carry two adrenaline auto-injectors with you at all times.
• Ensure you have registered the expiry date of your devices on the relevant manufacturers websites to give you ample warning when a new prescription is required.
• Ensure you gain a replacement device prior to disposing of any out-of-date devices.
What to do if you suspect anaphylaxis
• Stay where you are. Lie down with your legs raised if you can.
• Use one of your adrenaline auto-injectors (AAI) without delay.
• Call 999 or ask someone else to do this for you.
• Ask for an ambulance and say this an emergency case of anaphylaxis (anna-fill-axis).
• Note the time you used your AAI and use your second AAI after five minutes if you get worse or there’s been no improvement.
• Whilst you are waiting for the ambulance, stay where you are and do not stand up, or sit in a chair, even if you are feeling better.
If you are concerned about allergies and would like more information and support, please contact our helpline team.
Enter your details below and we’ll email you our printable guide featuring the symptoms to look out for and what to do in an emergency.
You’ll also receive our monthly Allergy Outlook email with our latest news, updates and resources straight to your inbox.