Senior coroner Julie Goulding has ended the inquest into the death of 16-year-old Nicholas John Kelly who tragically died on 11 March 2020 at Whiston Hospital Merseyside. Nicholas was known to have a nut allergy and had been prescribed an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI).
On the evening of 7 March 2020 Nicholas visited a takeaway establishment that was aware of his nut allergy and had served him on many occasions before without incident. Afterwards Nicholas walked home but arrived in distress and his family members searched for his AAI. Nicholas collapsed and was taken straight to hospital but sadly did not survive.
It was heard at the inquest at Bootle Town Hall, Liverpool, on 2 March 2022, that results of blood testing after Nicholas’s death were consistent with an anaphylactic reaction. In the inquest it was determined that “On the evidence available it was not possible to identify the likely source of the anaphylaxis, it would be speculation to identify any particular product.”
The Anaphylaxis Campaign would like to extend our deepest condolences to Nicholas’s family during this incredibly difficult time.
The Anaphylaxis Campaign would like to re-enforce the following advice: –
What to do if you suspect anaphylaxis
If you are concerned about allergies and would like more information and support, please call our national helpline on 01252 542029 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enter your details below and we’ll email you our printable guide featuring the symptoms to look out for and what to do in an emergency.
You’ll also receive our monthly Allergy Outlook email with our latest news, updates and resources straight to your inbox.