Coroner Lydia Brown has ended the inquest into the death of 19-year-old Alexander Ngai-Jun Wu who tragically died on 30 August 2022 in COLOGNE, Germany.
Alexander, from London, died of anaphylactic shock. Alex had a severe allergy to a number of foods, including dairy, and carried adrenaline auto-injectors (AAIs) with him. During a trip to Germany with the Ealing Youth Orchestra, which Alexander was a member of, Alex ate part of a burger that contained dairy products in the coating, sauce and bun and became unwell. Despite using his AAI and prompt medical assistance, Alex died one week later.
Simon Williams, Chief Executive of Anaphylaxis UK, said:
“Anaphylaxis UK was contacted shortly after Alex’s death by his family, and we were extremely saddened to learn of this tragic news. Anaphylaxis UK would like to extend our deepest condolences to all of Alex’s family and friends during this incredibly difficult time.
Anaphylaxis is a serious and potentially life-threatening allergic reaction that can occur suddenly and without warning. We work to raise awareness about anaphylaxis and offer extensive resources, including information on how to manage anaphylaxis, how to recognise the signs and symptoms and how to prepare for emergency situations. With our commitment to improving awareness and education, we strive to create a safer world for everyone with serious allergies.”
If you have concerns or questions about anaphylaxis or serious allergies, please remember that our helpline is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, to provide information and support.
Enter your details below and we’ll email you our printable guide featuring the symptoms to look out for and what to do in an emergency.
You’ll also receive our monthly Allergy Outlook email with our latest news, updates and resources straight to your inbox.