Anaphylaxis UK recently learned of the tragic death of Eamonn Hogan, aged 43, from Kilcoo, Northern Ireland. Eamonn suffered a serious and unexpected anaphylactic reaction to a wasp sting on Tuesday 13th June and despite receiving medical attention, died two days later on the 15 June 2023 at Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.
Eamonn’s wife Corrina shared with us that Eamonn was a much loved and devoted family man, whose untimely death leaves a profound void in the lives of all who knew him.
Chief Executive of the Anaphylaxis UK, Simon Williams, said:
“The thoughts of the whole team at Anaphylaxis UK are with Eamonn’s loving wife Corrina, his beloved children and his extended family and friends at this incredibly difficult time.
“For the majority of people an insect sting is uncomfortable but not dangerous. Tragically, for some, a bee or wasp sting can be serious and lead to potentially life-threatening anaphylaxis.
“To raise awareness, last month we re-launched our Bee Allergy Aware campaign to highlight the signs of a serious reaction and what to do in an emergency. If you have been stung by a bee or wasp and experienced symptoms away from the site of the sting, please contact your GP and ask for a referral to an allergy clinic.”
Fatal venom anaphylaxis accounts for 20% of all anaphylaxis fatalities. If you are at risk of insect venom anaphylaxis and would like more information and support, please call our national helpline on 01252 542029 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enter your details below and we’ll email you our printable guide featuring the symptoms to look out for and what to do in an emergency.
You’ll also receive our monthly Allergy Outlook email with our latest news, updates and resources straight to your inbox.