The Anaphylaxis Campaign was saddened to learn of the death of 15-year-old James Turnbull, who died after experiencing a severe allergic reaction earlier this year on Saturday 24th February 2018.
From the media reports we understand James took a bite out of a friend’s Chinese takeaway, not realising it contained traces of nuts, and experienced a severe type of allergic reaction known as anaphylactic shock.
Lynne Regent, Chief Executive of the Anaphylaxis Campaign, said:
“Our heartfelt condolences go out to James’ family at this difficult time. Sadly, we know teenagers and young people are a particular risk group of dying as a result of a severe allergic reaction. This is why we highlight that it is so important that people who are living with severe food allergies draw attention to these when eating out. We would also advise people with food allergy to avoid sharing food with friends without having checked the ingredients and cross-contamination risks first.”
We have more information and advice about eating out when you have food allergy on our website here.
If you have any concerns or questions, please contact our helpline team at email@example.com or call 01252 542 029.
For further information, please contact our press office via firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01252 893 862.
By law, food businesses selling catered food (for example in restaurants, takeaways and hotels) are required to provide information on major allergenic ingredients, either in writing and/or orally. If information is provided orally, the food business will need to ensure that there is some sort of written signage that is clearly visible, to indicate that allergen information is available from a member of staff. Systems should also be in place to ensure that, if requested, the information given orally is supported in a recorded form to ensure consistency and accuracy.
You can find out more in our guide to eating out here.
Enter your details below and we’ll email you our printable guide featuring the symptoms to look out for and what to do in an emergency.
You’ll also receive our monthly Allergy Outlook email with our latest news, updates and resources straight to your inbox.