The operator of Hipping Hall in Cumbria has been fined £16,000 following an incident in which the best man at a wedding hosted at the hotel suffered anaphylaxis due to nuts in the canapés. The incident occurred in December 2021, despite the venue being informed that two guests had nut allergies, including one with a peanut allergy.
Hipping Hall, which was featured in the TV series “The Trip” in 2010, ceased operations in July 2023 and is now seeking a buyer. The fine was imposed on Casterton Leisure Limited, which operated the restaurant.
Casterton Leisure Limited pleaded guilty to one offence under The Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013. In addition to the fine, they were ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £190 and costs of £7,071.41.
District Judge John McGarva noted that what should have been a joyous occasion for the wedding guests was marred by the incident, which posed a real risk of death for the affected guest. Lancaster city councillor Joanne Ainscough emphasised that all businesses have a fundamental duty to ensure the safety of the food they provide, including catering for customers with allergies, intolerances, or coeliac disease.
In the UK, food businesses must provide accurate information about any of 14 major allergens when they are used as ingredients in the food and drink they provide. More information of food regulation can be found in our Business Section.
Enter your details below and we’ll email you our printable guide featuring the symptoms to look out for and what to do in an emergency.
You’ll also receive our monthly Allergy Outlook email with our latest news, updates and resources straight to your inbox.