Trading Standards has released a new allergen resource for food businesses in Wales, England and Northern Ireland. This is to help protect the estimated two million plus people living with a diagnosed food allergy in the UK. It is freely available for all local authorities in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The resource includes an allergen awareness presentation video and a handout available in nine languages – English, Welsh, Bengali, Cantonese, Kurdish, Mandarin, Punjabi, Turkish and Urdu.
The project aims to:
• make allergen training material accessible to a wider audience
• increase awareness of food allergies as a serious health issue and help educate about the potentially life-threatening nature of the condition
• inform food business operators of allergen labelling requirements, including changes brought about as a result of ‘Natasha’s Law’
• alert food business operators to the potential consequences of getting it wrong
• raise allergen legal compliance amongst food business operators
• promote the importance of a positive food safety culture and the supply of safe food that consumers can trust
The resources and more information about the project can be found here.