Today Mohammed Abdul Kuddus was jailed for two years and Harun Rashid for three years after being found guilty of manslaughter last month.
After eating takeaway food containing peanuts from the Royal Spice Indian in Hyndburn, Lancashire on Friday December 30th 2016, Megan Lee began experiencing a severe allergic reaction. She was later admitted to Royal Blackburn Hospital but sadly passed away on 1st January 2017.
The judge, Mrs Justice Yip, said she hoped “the message is heard” and that food suppliers who fail to take proper care “will face significant custodial sentences if a death results”.
Anaphylaxis Campaign Chief Executive Lynne Regent says: “Our heartfelt condolences go out to Megan’s family at this very difficult time. We will continue to work with the food industry to highlight how vital it is that people living with severe allergies are provided with food that is safe for them to eat. It is extremely important that food companies learn from this tragic incident and the implications of getting it wrong.”
The Anaphylaxis Campaign is the only UK wide charity focused on supporting those at risk of severe allergies and anaphylaxis. We provide information and support to people at risk of severe allergies, their parents and carers, the food and pharmaceutical industries as well as healthcare professionals. Furthermore, we campaign and fundraise to achieve our ultimate aim, to create a safe environment for all people at risk of severe allergies.
For information and advice on the Food Information Regulations and eating out with severe allergies, visit our website.
If you have any concerns, please contact our helpline team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01252 542029