Yesterday two men appeared in court having been charged with manslaughter following the death of 15-year old Megan Lee on 1st January 2017.
Megan had eaten food from the Royal Spice Indian takeaway in Hyndburn, Lancashire on Friday December 30th 2016 before experiencing an apparent severe allergic reaction. She was admitted to Royal Blackburn Hospital but sadly passed away on New Year’s Day.
We understand at the brief hearing at Blackburn Magistrate’s Court on 4th January 2017, Mohammed Abdul Kuddus, 39, of Blackburn, and Harun Rashid, 38, of Rossendale, confirmed their name, age, address and nationality and were released on conditional bail.
The Magistrates have sent the case to Burnley Crown Court, where the men will appear on 7th February 2018.
Both men have been charged with manslaughter, one count of failing to discharge general health and safety duty to a person other than an employee and one count of contravening or failing to comply with EU provision concerning food safety and hygiene.
The company that owned the takeaway at the time of the incident, RS Takeaways Ltd, has also been charged with one count of failing to discharge general health and safety duty to a person other than an employee and contravening or failing to comply with EU provisions concerning food safety and hygiene. The company charges will also be heard at the crown court on the same date.
The Royal Spice Indian takeaway is now trading under new ownership.
Lynne Regent, Chief Executive of the Anaphylaxis Campaign, said:
“The Anaphylaxis Campaign will continue to monitor this case very carefully as it progresses and continue to support Megan Lee’s family who have worked with us tirelessly to raise awareness about severe allergies and anaphylaxis and have fundraised actively to support our work. It is vital that anyone affected by food safety issues continues to report any problems to their appropriate Trading Standards or Environmental Health Officer.”
The Anaphylaxis Campaign is the only UK wide charity focused solely on supporting those at risk of severe allergies and anaphylaxis. We provide information and support to people at risk of severe allergies, their parents and carers, the food and pharmaceutical industries as well as healthcare professionals; and campaign and fundraise to achieve our ultimate aim, to create a safe environment for all people at risk of severe allergies.
We have more information and advice about eating out when you have a food allergy on our website here.
If you have any concerns or questions, please contact our helpline team at [email protected] or call 01252 542 029.
For further information, please contact our press office via [email protected] or call 01252 893 862.