6th December 2017
Two men have been charged with manslaughter following the death of 15-year old Megan Lee on 1st January 2017. Megan had eaten food from the Royal Spice Indian takeaway in Hyndburn, Lancashire on Friday December 30th 2016 before experiencing an apparent severe allergic reaction. She was admitted to Royal Blackburn Hospital but sadly passed away on New Year’s Day.
Lancashire Constabulary have confirmed that – following an investigation by Lancashire Constabulary, Lancashire County Council and Hyndburn Borough Council and consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service – Mohammed Abdul Kuddus of Blackburn has been charged with manslaughter, one count of failing to discharge general health and safety duty to a person other than an employee and one count of contravening or failing to comply with EU provision concerning food safety and hygiene. Harun Rashid of Haslingden has been charged with the same offences .
The company that owned the takeaway at the time of the incident has also been charged with one count of failing to discharge general health and safety duty to a person other than an employee.
Lynne Regent, Chief Executive of the Anaphylaxis Campaign, said:
“Our heartfelt condolences go out once again to Megan Lee’s family who have worked with us tirelessly to raise awareness about severe allergies and anaphylaxis and have fundraised actively to support our work.
The Anaphylaxis Campaign will attend the hearing of this case at Blackburn Magistrate’s Court and will be monitoring this case very carefully as it progresses.
It is vital that anyone affected by food safety issues continues to report any problems to their appropriate Trading Standards or Environmental Health Officer.”
The Anaphylaxis Campaign is the only UK wide charity focused solely on supporting those at risk of severe allergies and anaphylaxis. We provide information and support to people at risk of severe allergies, their parents and carers, the food and pharmaceutical industries as well as healthcare professionals; and campaign and fundraise to achieve our ultimate aim, to create a safe environment for all people at risk of severe allergies.
We have more information and advice about eating out with a severe allergy on our website here.
If you have any concerns or questions, please contact our helpline team at email@example.com or call 01252 542 029.
For further information, please contact our press office via firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01252 893 862. https://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/2017/december/men-charged-in-connection-with-teenagers-death