The European Parliament Interest Group on Allergy and Asthma, coordinated by European Federation of Allergy and Airways Diseases Patients’ Associations (EFA) and EAACI, is initiating a Political Call to Action addressed to EU and National policy makers, and civil society stakeholders to act on Allergy and Asthma in Europe.
The EFA is an alliance of 41 allergy, asthma and COPD patients’ organisations, representing more than half million patients in Europe. The Anaphylaxis Campaign is part of this alliance.
The Call to Action aims to drive changes in policy making and programmatic responses to allergy and asthma at EU and national level, and is calling for positive policy changes regarding:
- Public health – implementing European strategies and programmes across Member States
- Funding for research –- advancing our understanding of allergy and asthma
- Prevention and early diagnosis – achieving early detection for timely and effective treatment
- Root cause analysis of diseases – addressing underlying triggers such as air quality, food allergens, chemicals
- Personalised medicine – working towards pioneering individualised treatment and putting patients as individuals at the centre
- Economic benefit – reducing direct and indirect costs on health systems and society
The EU policy areas covered are health, outdoor and indoor air quality, food safety, and chemicals.
The Call to Action will be launched at the European Parliament on Tuesday 25 April (18h-20h) during a dedicated event of the European Parliament Interest Group.
The Anaphylaxis Campaign has endorsed the Call to Action by adding our logo to the list of initial endorsers prior to the launch event of April 25th.
You can follow the EFA on twitter – @EFA_Patients and their website – http://www.efanet.org/