Monday 20th May 2019
We were very saddened to learn of the death of 9-year-old Habiba Chisthi who tragically died on Monday 18th February from anaphylactic shock, two days after suffering a severe allergic reaction.
Habiba was known to have allergies to eggs and nuts and suffered from asthma for which she was prescribed an inhaler. She went into an anaphylactic shock whilst on holiday in Spain, after eating an ice cream with sauce on which contained her known allergen.
Assistant coroner Peter Merchant said: “Clearly, further enquiries will have to be made into the circumstances of her death.”
He adjourned the hearing until a date to be fixed.
Lynne Regent, Chief Executive of the Anaphylaxis Campaign, said:
“What should have been a happy occasion turned into a tragedy and our heartfelt condolences go out to Habiba’s family. Travelling abroad brings additional challenges for those affected by severe allergies and their families and it is important that these are recognised and acknowledged”
We have information and advice about travelling aboard when you or someone you care for have allergies on our website here.
If you have any concerns or questions, please contact our helpline team at [email protected] or call 01252 542029.
For further information, please contact our press office via [email protected] or call 01252 893864.