Before Leaving Home
- Check you have all your prescribed medication. Carry this in your hand luggage not your suitcase.
- Wear medical identification (e.g. a Medic Alert bracelet or necklace) indicating your allergies.
- Ideally pack your own food for the flight, instead of eating airline food. However, do check to see if there are any restrictions as to which types of food you are allowed to bring through airport security.
- Leave early for the airport to allow yourself plenty of time to re-confirm your requests regarding specific seating, early boarding etc.
On the Flight
- Keep your adrenaline auto-injectors with you; do not put in your packed luggage or store in the overhead locker. Let others you are travelling with know about your allergies and where your adrenaline auto-injectors are, so they know what to do in case of an emergency during the flight. If travelling alone, inform the flight attendants.
- Use wet wipes to wipe down the seat and tray table to help prevent contact reactions or inadvertent skin contact with food particles or spills. Eating food off a contaminated surface area could lead to accidental ingestion of allergens through contamination.
- Avoid using the airline’s pillows and blankets, as they are often not washed between flights, only re-wrapped.
- Never take an unnecessary risk, especially when in the air away from access to medical help.
- If you have an allergic reaction use your adrenaline auto-injectors as soon as symptoms start occurring and inform the flight crew immediately. Also ask if there is a doctor (or medical professional) on board to assist you. If possible go to an area of the plane to lie down but avoid unnecessary physical activity.
Click here to download a printable copy of this information.
For more information or support please contact our helpline by calling 01252 542029 or emailing [email protected]
Please find more information on travelling on the Food Allergy Research and Education website by clicking here
For more information on allergy patient advocacy groups for a number of different countries, please click here