It is important that you refer to our guidelines when you are providing support. If you ever feel uncomfortable answering a question you can refer someone to the Helpline Team: 01252 542029
- Aim to empower people, giving them the ammunition to solve problems for themselves.
- If you cannot answer a specific question refer the person onto the helpline team.
- Try not to impose your own views – give people information and discuss their options with them.
- Sometimes people may say things that make you feel uncomfortable or you may not agree with. Don’t let your own feelings influence your response.
- Occasionally an individual may just want to talk. They may, for example, be upset at the way they have been treated by a GP or a food company. Just listening may be enough. Try to empathise rather than to agree or “take sides”.
- Ending a conversation or meeting – summarise the essence of the conversation including any options you have suggested to them and check if they have any other questions.
- Let us know that you have spoken and what areas you have discussed.
- Do not share an individual’s personal information or contact details without their consent.
If you arrange to meet anyone please follow the below guidelines, if you do not want to meet in person that is fine, you can suggest they attend their local support group meeting. If you feel uncomfortable at anytime you should contact us immediately.
- Read the Anaphylaxis Campaign policy on Safeguarding.
- Do not meet with anyone under the age of 18 unless they are accompanied by an adult.
- Let us know who you are meeting, where you are meeting and a time.
- Let someone close to you know about the meeting and let them know when the meeting has finished.
- If possible meet in a public area and ensure you have a means of communicating with others.
- After the meeting let us know how everything went within a couple of working days, if you feel uncomfortable or have any concerns let us know.
- If you feel uncomfortable during the meeting excuse yourself and let us know.
- If you have any questions you should speak to our Outreach Development Officer via email@example.com or 01252 893854