Owen Carey was 18 years old in 2017 when he tragically died as a result of an anaphylactic reaction to food he had eaten. Owen had ordered a burger from a Byron Burger restaurant in London having informed the server of his allergies and having been reassured that it did not contain milk. There was also no mention on the menu that the chicken burger was marinated in buttermilk. His family have launched a campaign to introduce ‘Owen’s Law’ to legally require that restaurants include information about the top 14 allergens on the face of their menus. Currently, restaurants are permitted to provide this information in any format they choose, including verbally only.
Owen’s family spoke eloquently and movingly in an interview aired on the BBC on the 6th May 2021 about how their family has coped without Owen since his death and the reasons behind their campaign. You can listen to the radio interview here:-https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_two
Anaphylaxis Campaign CEO Lynne Regent said:
‘We are supporting the Carey family as they take forward their campaign for a change in the law to require that allergens are clearly listed on menus. We know that young people in particular are at greater risk when eating out and often find it a challenge to get accurate allergen information verbally.’
Owen’s Law website
For guidance on eating out with allergies please see:-
For FREE online allergy training:-