Food preparation staff must be particularly careful to avoid cross-contamination. Tiny traces of allergenic foods can trigger reactions for some people.
- Avoid using the same utensils for different foods without washing them thoroughly first using hot soapy water.
- Always clean preparation areas, utensils, hands and even aprons after handling key allergens and before preparing other foods which don’t contain them. Soap and hot water followed by thorough rinsing have been shown to be effective in removing allergen traces.
- Try to segregate foods containing major allergens from other foods. If possible, keep certain preparation areas nut-free.
- Avoid frying with oils that have been used to cook other foods such as fish or nut cutlets.
- Cover and wrap dishes once they have been prepared.