Every school is likely to have at least one pupil who is severely allergic to a type of food, and many schools will have more. For many children, the symptoms of allergy are mild, however, occasionally the symptoms are severe and they may even be life-threatening. We as a campaign believe it is vital for all schools to not only have training for staff but to also raise pupil awareness of the seriousness of living with a food allergy. We have therefore created resources to support with this and to help schools become allergy aware.
Schools allergy awareness resource pack
Our school’s allergy awareness resource pack is designed to facilitate an allergy awareness session for infant and primary school age children (key stages 1 and 2) given by either a member of school staff. As part of our school’s allergy awareness resource pack, you will receive.
Assembly or Lesson Presentation 1 PowerPoint
Lesson Plan 1 PDF
Lesson Presentation 2 PowerPoint
Lesson Plan 2 PDF
3 worksheets and answers
Wordsearch and answers
Colouring in sheet
Certificate of participation for children
Training for schools varies across the country; in some areas this is delivered by school nurses and in other areas through 1st aid training providers. All training has the same outcome; it is of an accredited standard which enables the school to satisfy its controlling body (Local Authority/Academy) and to ensure that staff are covered by the necessary insurances. Training enables schools to undertake risk assessments and to plan their procedures which will be bespoke to the children/school situation from an unbiased position.
Whilst schools are unlikely to be to use parents as trainers, many will be grateful of parental support and input into managing allergies through the provision of up to date information sources and materials. Click here to download your pack.
The Anaphylaxis Campaign’s free online e-learning course is designed to ensure that all staff are fully aware of the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis, how to provide emergency treatment and the implications for management of severely allergic children in school.
To register for this course, go to our AllergyWise website.
AllergyWise for Schools
Whether you’re a headteacher, teacher, member of administration staff or part of the catering team, you have a duty of care to support pupils with medical conditions at school. We can help you to be an allergy aware school and protect the young people in your care.
- Understanding anaphylaxis in children
- What happens in an anaphylactic reaction
- Common causes of anaphylaxis
- Emergency treatment with adrenaline injectors
- Management of severely allergic children in school, including: practical tips for avoiding a crisis, school trips and healthcare plans
Our free online e-learning course AllergyWise for Schools is designed to help you improve your knowledge about allergies, know how to provide treatment in an emergency, and understand how to safeguard children with allergies from key Stages 1 to 5.
Staff can work through this course at their own pace, it will take around 45 minutes to complete.
If you’d like proof that you’ve mastered AllergyWise, you can buy a proof of course completion certificate for just £5+VAT and support the work of the Anaphylaxis Campaign.
This online e-learning course has been designed as a ‘train the trainer’ course for School nurses, first aid trainers, community nurses and nursery nurses with responsibility for training others.
- How to recognise the symptoms of a severe allergic reaction
- How to avoid allergen exposure
- How to use all currently licensed adrenaline injectors, including EpiPen, Emerade and Jext
- How to respond effectively in an emergency
- How to manage risks in school, early years and other community settings where severely allergic children and young people are cared for
- How to set up individual healthcare management plans
- How to run your own anaphylaxis training in your school, nursery or other care setting with our easy to follow step-by-step guide
Resources available to teach others upon completion:
- Trainer adrenaline injector devices
- Exclusive film clips showing correct methods for using different devices
- Resources to help you run your own training sessions with confidence including lesson plans, presentations, speaker notes and a step-by-step guide
This AllergyWise course has been accredited by the RCN Centre for Professional Accreditation until July 30th, 2020. Accreditation applies only to the educational content of the programme and does not apply to any product. The course has also been endorsed by the British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (BSACI). CPD points can be earned by recording reflection of learning gained from this course.
Healthcare Professionals can work through around 6 hours of self-directed study. Upon successful completion of this AllergyWise course (75% pass rate) you can download your Course Completion Certificate, bearing the RCN accreditation logo.
Whether your child has just been diagnosed, or you’ve been adapting for a while to living with severe allergies, it can be tough for parents, families and carers of children as you learn how to keep them safe as they grow.
Our free online course AllergyWise for Parents and Carers of School-age children is designed to help you improve your knowledge about allergies, get wised up about anaphylaxis and feel more confidently in control of family life.
• Get tips on managing the allergies of children in the long term, whether that’s at home, out shopping, when eating out, at school or whilst travelling.
• Learn about labelling, allergen avoidance management and how to reduce cross-contamination risks.
• Learn how to recognise the signs and symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, know what to do in an emergency and keep up-to-date with the latest medications and treatments.
Our simple to follow online modules feature quick tests, interactive diagrams and graphics to make learning about allergies and anaphylaxis easier than ever.
Register online at www.allergwise.org.uk today and learn conveniently, wherever and whenever it suits you. The full course takes between 60-90 minutes to complete, but you can work through at your own pace and take a break at any time.
If you’d like proof that you’ve mastered AllergyWise, you can buy a proof of course completion certificate for just £5+VAT and support the work of the Anaphylaxis Campaign
Not sure which Allergywise Course to choose?
If in doubt email us or call us on 01252 542029 to discuss which course would be best for you.