A major risk factor in this area is poor communication.
When Jamie started work in a local cafe he was given basic induction training. His job mainly entailed washing up and wiping down tables. One day a customer called him over to find out whether the cake she wanted contained nuts. Jamie told her that he didn’t think it did. But the answer he gave was wrong and the customer had a reaction. The training which the cafe gave to Jamie should have covered the need to give accurate information when questioned by a customer. In practice, he might have been advised to call a supervisor more able to supply the correct product information.
Staff training with special reference to allergens will help address this risk. This should be repeated at intervals, and all new staff should undergo the same training.