The Anaphylaxis Campaign is saddened to learn of the death of Dennis Walsh, a 70-year-old who died due to a severe anaphylactic reaction to the contrast dye used during a CT scan on 8 August 2019 at Royal Blackburn Hospital.
An inquest into his death held at Blackburn Town Hall on 30 October heard that Mr Walsh had attended the hospital for a follow-up CT scan following surgery in 2018. Mr Walsh had been injected with the intravenous dye twice before but had not had a reaction. The Coroner for Lancashire County Council concluded: “Dennis Walsh died on 8th August 2019 at Royal Blackburn Hospital due to a recognised yet rare adverse reaction and complications following an intravenous contrast injected on 7th August 2019.”
Chief Executive of the Anaphylaxis Campaign, Lynne Regent, said:
“We are very saddened to learn about the death of Mr Walsh as a result of a severe adverse reaction and our thoughts are with his family and friends as they process the findings from the inquest into his death”
Anyone can experience an allergic reaction to a drug – not just people with other allergies. Drug allergy is most common in adults, especially older adults. Often it is found the person has taken the drug previously and has not experienced a reaction.
If you are concerned about drug allergies and would like more information and support, please call our national helpline on 01252 542029 or contact [email protected]. You can also see our Drug Allergy fact sheet for more information.